By submitting Personal Information to us and agreeing to our Terms it will be seen as your consent to us to lawfully process your Personal Information in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act and any other applicable law.
We have appointed an information officer (IO) who is responsible for overseeing questions
Email address: [email protected]
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Regulator’s office (IR),
the Republic of South Africa’s authority for data protection issues (http://www.justice.gov.za/inforeg/). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the IR, so please contact us in the first instance.
We collect personal information and data about you when you interact with our website and when you input your details and information as part of using the Services we provide. The personal information will be collected and processed after you have filled in our online forms and submitted same on our website or after you have replied “Yes” to an opt-in prompt.
We collect personal information and data in order to provide comparison services or quote services to Users, as well as lead generation, marketing services or analytics services to our clients.
Some of the personal information we may collect from you are inter alia the following:-
- Name and Surname
- Cell-phone number
- personal email address
- work email address
- physical address
- Identity number
- Date of birth
- Relationship status
- Employment status
- Debt amount
- Whether you’re under debt review
- Whether you have any financial judgements against you
- What car (make, model, year) you drive
- Whether or not you have a driver’s licence
- What your vehicle’s mileage is
- Whether you are a smoker
- Where you park your car
If you provide information on behalf of someone else, then it is your responsibility to obtain the necessary consent from the person/User before making the Personal Information available to us. On receipt of Personal Information, we assume that the necessary consent has been obtained and will process the Personal Information as per your instructions. By submitting such Personal Information on behalf of another person/ User, you indemnify us against any Third-Party claim, where such Third-Party claim relates to Personal Information that has been processed without the necessary consent or other available exception allowed by law.
If you fail to provide your Personal Information as requested then we may not be able to provide you with the Services that we offer. It is also important that the Personal Information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your Personal Information changes during our relationship.
Please note that this website is not intended for children, and we do not knowingly collect information regarding children. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Information without his/her consent, he or she should contact us at [email protected].
The personal information and data we collect will only be used for specified and lawful purposes that will enable us to provide you with the Services that you have requested from us. The following is a list of how your information may be processed:
- To obtain digital and telephonic quotes from our clients for you;
- To predict which products or services may be of interest to you and market such to you across digital platforms, SMS or telephone. This may be for remarketing, upsell or cross-sell purposes on BetterMoney or client owned brands and products;
- To provide analytics services or insights to our clients;
- To obtain credit references and/or verification of personal information;
- For the prevention and detection of fraud;
- Record and analysis keeping
We will only use Personal Information within the framework of the law. Most commonly, we will
use Personal Information in the following circumstances:
- where you have given us your consent;
- where we need to perform our obligations as per the Services we are about
to enter into or have entered into with you;
- where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a Third-Party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests; or
- where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
As a User, we may use your Identity, Contact, Technical, Usage and Profile Data to form
a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This
information is used to determine which products, services and offers may be relevant for you so that we can market them to you. As a User you may receive marketing communications from us if you have not opted-out of receiving that marketing.
We will get your express opt-in consent before sending third-party direct-marketing communications to you via email or text message. You have the right to withdraw consent to marketing at any time by contacting us or using such automated facilities made available by us.
You can ask us or third parties to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by
logging into the website or unsubscribe on the email communication or by contacting
us at any time and requesting to op-out of our marketing services.
We will only use your Personal Information for the purposes for which we collected it, unless
we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is
compatible with the original purpose. If you wish to get an explanation as to how the
processing for the new purpose is compatible with the original purpose, please contact us.
If we need to use your Personal Information for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and
we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so. Please note that we may process your Personal Information without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
We have put in place appropriate technological and organisational measures to prevent Personal Information from being accidentally lost, used, or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered, or disclosed.
In addition, we limit access to Personal Information to those employees, agents, contractors, and other third-parties who have a business obligation need to know. They will only process Personal Information on our instructions, and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality. We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected Personal Information breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
We will only retain your Personal Information for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the
purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, regulatory, tax,
accounting or reporting requirements. We may retain your Personal Information for a longer
period in the event of a complaint or if we reasonably believe there is a prospect of litigation in
respect of our relationship with you.
To determine the appropriate retention period for Personal Information, we consider the
amount, nature and sensitivity of the Personal Information, the potential risk of harm from
unauthorised use or disclosure of your Personal Information, the purposes for which we process
your Personal Information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means,
and the applicable legal, regulatory, tax, accounting, or other requirements.
By law we have to keep basic information about our Clients (including Contact, Identity and
Transaction Data) for seven years after they cease being clients for tax purposes.
In some circumstances you can ask us to delete your data: see your legal rights below for further
In some circumstances we will anonymise your Personal Information (so that it can no longer be
associated with you) for research or statistical purposes, in which case we may use this
information indefinitely without further notice to you.
We consider your personal information to be a vital part of our relationship with you. There are, however, certain circumstances in which we may share your Personal Information with certain third parties. This will typically occur when sharing your personal information is necessary to fulfil the Services which you are requesting from us.
If a service provider or client needs to access information about you to perform services on our behalf, they do so under close instruction from us, including policies and procedures designed to protect your information.
BetterMoney only shares Personal Information with other companies or individuals outside of BetterMoney in the following circumstances:
- We have your consent. We may require informed consent for the sharing of any Special Personal Information (where applicable).
- We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information
is reasonably necessary to:
- satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request;
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues; or
- protect against imminent harm to the rights, property, or safety of BetterMoney, users of this website or the public as required or permitted by law.
The Client or Service Provider with which we share your personal information and data with will be expressly specified on each form you submit containing your personal information, and displayed again when on the thank-you page after submitting the form. See the “Top insurance providers” section of our website to see some of the third parties we may share your personal information.
BetterMoney may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of its assets, including your Personal Information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets or in the event of winding up. Alternatively, we may seek to acquire other businesses or merge with them. If
a change happens to our business, then the new owners may use your Personal Information
We require all Third Parties to respect the security of your Personal Information and to treat it in
accordance with the law. We do not allow our Third-Party service providers to use your Personal
Information for their own purposes and only permit them to process your Personal Information
for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
In the event that there has been a breach regarding the privacy of your personal information, BetterMoney will notify you immediately if it becomes aware of or has reasonable grounds to believe that the Personal Data provided by you has been accessed or acquired by an unauthorised person and take all appropriate steps to limit the compromise of Personal Data and to restore the integrity of the affected information systems as quickly as possible. As soon as reasonably possible thereafter, BetterMoney shall assist you to report all relevant facts relating to the compromise.
YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS
Under certain circumstances, you have the following rights under data protection laws in relation
to your Personal Information:-
- Request access to Personal Information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the Personal Information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request Correction of the Personal Information that we hold about you. This enables you to
have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we may need
to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us.
- Request erasure of your Personal Information: This enables you to ask us to delete or remove Personal Information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it, or you otherwise have a legitimate objection to the continued processing of your personal information. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
- Object to processing of your Personal Information where we are relying on a legitimate
interest (or those of a third-party) and there is something about your particular situation
which makes you want to object to processing on this ground, as you feel it impacts on your
fundamental rights and freedoms. You also have the right to object where we are processing
your Personal Information for direct marketing purposes. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms.
- Request restriction of processing of your Personal Information.
- Request the transfer of your Personal Information to you or to a third-party. We will provide to you, or a third-party you have chosen, your Personal Information in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you. Contact us if you need to transfer your Personal Information.
- Withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your Personal Information. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain Services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.